Yams - excessive top growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yams - excessive top growth

my yams hav single stem foliage 15-20cm high. Not the usual lower branched foliage. Can I or do I need to cut it back to send the energy to making tubers
    thanku

I'm wondering if your soil is too rich or you've added too much fertilizer? This will create lots of foliage but not too many tubers. Yes, I would cut the stalk at about halfway up to make the plant send side shoots. By the way - the cut off bits will grow too if you want more plants.

Comment

Did your yam plants produce any tubers? My yams similarly had masses of very long top growth but not a single tuber. I grew mine in Capital Compost veggie mix which i believe is contaminated with a herbicide and is the reason for my failed crop (bought compost in October 2018). Cheers, Andrew.

Comment

the topic of vegetables and fruits has always been interesting to my grandmother. I think that she will be very happy to read your forum and learn something new for herself. I, in turn, will learn new things from the site https://termpaperwriter.org

Comment

Working...
        X